Make all of your homestead dreams come true and learn the way to make a log cabin by hand! Imagine living in a lovely log home that you simply have made with your own 2 hands. oh to be one with nature…
Keep reading to find out all the steps you’ll take in this method, therefore you’ll be able to begin building your own cabin.
If you thought building a cabin was hard, you better think again. With the correct plan, provides and slightly of know-how, you’ll be able to build your own. Keep reading for everything you would like to know about a way to build a log cabin and of course, the steps!
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE BUILDING A LOG CABIN?
- Plot your land
- Choose a Plan / Blueprint / Kit
- Know what wood and type of logs you will use. Logs can shrink as they weather so make sure you ask for professional advice.
- Will you need help? A professional team?
- Do you LOVE your Log Cabin Kit? If not, make changes.
- Do you have Log Cabin Insurance?
- Know your budget. This can be costly so plan ahead before constructing.
- Avoid building in winter to reduce log checking, cracking and splitting. You will also want shelter from poor weather.
- After building the cabin, wash the logs and let the house dry for a week.
- Coat the cabin with a mixture of linseed oil & turpentine to the outside of the logs – repeat every 5 years
STEPS TO BUILDING YOUR OWN LOG CABIN
Step 1. Set your foundation
Make sure that the piers and foundation are poured below the frost line.
Step 2. Sill the your logs
Step 3. Install joist and subflooring
Step 4. Log Joinery
To raise log easier face a nail ramp on the side wall and pull up log with block and tackle.
Step 5. Framing your roof
Step 6. Attach roofing board or sheath
Step 7. Assemble the door and window