Flies are actually pesky little insects. They typically rest on sunny surfaces in the daytime, and come inside or under eaves at night.
That’s not all, these annoying creatures usually keep on coming back, which prevents you from completing your tasks. Although the most effective method to get rid of these creatures is hiring pest control professionals, there are non-toxic options and methods designed to kill or keep flies at bay. For instance, homemade fly traps are cost-effective methods to keep flies away, even though their effectiveness often varies.
It is important to know that flies are attracted to smell and light. As a result of this, strong scents of certain essential oils and herbs can effectively repel these insects.
We suggest 4 ways to naturally repel flies:
Cloves and Lemon
Flies hate the smell of cloves, Cloves have a scent that flies can’t stand. When combined with lemon, you’ll get an all-natural fly repellent that’s safe and effective.
I like to use this in summertime whenever I’m eating outside on the deck, I put it on and around the table I’m serving food.
Things you’ll need:
Stuff the cloves into the pulp of the lemon:
- Cut a fresh lemon into halves.
- Stick the cloves into the pulp of the lemon halves, while you’re keeping the bulbs on the surface.
Homemade Fly Repellent Spray
The store-bought bug sprays are loaded with chemicals and toxins.
This homemade fly repellent spray includes natural ingredients, such as essential oils and liquid dish soap.
It is an effective method to get rid of flies.
You will need the following things:
- A spray bottle
- 10-12 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 2 tbsp. of diluted liquid dish soap
- 1 cup of water
- 10-12 drops of peppermint essential oil
Start by pouring the water and dish soap into the spray bottle. Then, add the essential oils.
Next, close the bottle and then shake it well.
It is recommended to spray your house to repel flies. You should use it on every 15 days as a preventive measure.
Apple Cider Vinegar Trap
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is actually fermented apple juice. Rotting or fermenting fruits are a real delicacy for flies. A variety of flies can be lured with ACV.
If you add a little bit of dish soap to the ACV, it will make the trap deadlier. The surface tension of the liquid will be broken by the dish soap and it will make the flies sink on contact and eliminate any chance of survival.
You will need:
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- A tablespoon of liquid dish soap
- Mason jar
- Plastic wrap
Step 1. Mix ACV and dish soap in a Mason jar
Pour 2 cups of ACV into a Mason jar.
- Then, add 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap to it.
Step 2. Secure the mouth of the jar with plastic wrap
- Stretch a piece of plastic wrap over the mouth of the Mason jar to seal it completely.
Step 3. Poke several holes into the plastic wrap
- Use a toothpick to make multiple punctures in the plastic wrap and you’ll let the flies into the trap. The smell of ACV will guide them into the trap.
Place the trap wherever you want to. When you notice the flies are dead inside, get rid of them and clean the jar.
On the other hand, the trap with the overripe or rotten fruit won’t kill the flies, but they will be captured successfully. Plus, it is much easier just to place the fruit in the bowl.
You will need:
- Fruit, overripe or rotten
- Plastic wrap
Peel the fruit and chop it. Put it in the bowl, and cover it with the plastic wrap. Stretch it tightly over the top of the bowl. With the toothpick, make holes in it. When the trap is full of flies, place the bowl into soapy water for several minutes in order to destroy them. Then, wash it and use it again.
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender can also serve as a potent fly repellent, due to its intensive scent. You can use it on a sponge, and make it spill-proof.
You will need:
- Lavender essential oil
- Jar or can with a lid
You should apply several drops of lavender essential oil on the sponge, and then place it into the jar. Close it tightly, and leave it for several hours or until the next morning to concentrate the smell. Then, you can open it a bit and place it wherever needed in the house to keep flies away.
- The bowls in which you place the rotten apples should be cleaned well as they might start smelling disgusting
- Before use, wash the Mason jar with hot soapy water
- You can also use eucalyptus and citronella essential oils to repel flies and other insects
- Prepare a potpourri of the dry herbs of peppermint, lavender, and lemongrass and effectively deter flies
- If you have a garden, you can plant lavender, lemongrass, and peppermint, and have them always at hand